Welcome to my blog about yard sales, crochet, my family and my life. A yard sale map in one hand and a crochet hook in the other.

Thursday, February 4, 2010

My Mother

My gift of crafting comes from my mother,Jeanette. She will be 81 years old in May and only in the last year has her health slowed her down. She made our clothes when we were kids and anything else that included a sewing machine. She would get up around 4:30 am and have her housework done before 7:00am. Then she would stay at her sewing machine only to leave to eat or take a bathroom break. Below is a picture of Mother admiring a quilt at Dollywood. Justin & I took her and our oldest grandson to Pigeon Forge the summer after my daddy died (2004)
This is a quilt my mother embroidered and quilted from a kit.
This is a quilt that Mother made for me a couple of Christmases ago. The top is made from feed sacks that her mother used to make clothes from. That makes the top over 50 years old. She had enough of these blocks to make a quilt for me, my two sisters and my brother. Notice the 'handprint' she embroidered in the corner. I had seen someone do this and suggested that she 'sign' her work this way.

2 comments:

Cathy Zellmann said...

Awesome, Charlotte!

I love the blog!

Cathy

lil red hen said...

String quilts!! My favorites for sure; love all their bright colors. I have a little box of feed sack squares, but haven't decided what to do with them yet.
Charlotte